Frequently Asked Questions
How long does a "typical" downsize take?
A downsize can be completed as quickly as two days, or it can be conducted in phases over several weeks or months. Each downsize is unique and the timeline depends on many variables such as: the size of current home, amount of furnishings and location.
We personalize and customize our downsizing services to reflect your priorities, your needs, your home and your timeframe.
Whether your downsize is planned over 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months, we typically use the following steps to plan and complete the transition to your new space:
Step 1: Consultation
Meet Songbird Transitions founder, Sam Stearns, to get to know one another.
Accompany Sam on a walk-through of your home to discuss your needs and assess the scope of the project.
Discuss Songbird Transitions' a la carte downsizing services, identify points of contact for the project and outline ideal moving timeline.
Following the consultation, Songbird will send you an estimate for your downsizing project.
Step 2: Preparation
- Identify all your "must-have" furniture, decor pieces, and belongings to move to your new home.
- Songbird creates a moving schedule and a space plan for your new home.
- Songbird works with you to develop an estate dispersal plan by designating any specific charities to donate unneeded household items to and identify any high value items to sell or save for family members.
- Sort and organize unneeded items to discard or donate.
Step 3: Packing
- The Songbird Team arrives with boxes, bins, paper and other packing supplies. We begin the packing process by focusing on items that are not used every day such the contents of storage areas and closets.
- Furniture and items that are used regularly will be packed last in order to minimize any disruptions to your daily routine.
Step 4: Moving & Unpacking
- The Songbird team carefully loads your furnishings into our vehicle fleet and transports them to your new home.
- Most (but not all) moves are completed over the course of two days. We typically move and unpack all "non-essentials" on the first day and all "essentials" the second day. Clients typically stay in the original home on the first night, and stay in the new home on the second night.
- Songbird unpacks and puts away all of your belongings in your new space, taking extra care to replicate the placement and general "look and feel" of the previous home in the new space.
Step 5: Finishing Touches
Hang artwork and other wall decor, plug in lamps & electronics, re-assemble furniture and place all essential and decorative items in familiar locations to make your new space feel "just like home."
Tidy up new space, remove all boxes and packing materials, and ensure all walkways are clear.
- Make all beds so you can comfortably enjoy your first night in your new home.
Step 6: House Clear Out & Sale Prep
- Deliver all donation items to designated charities.
- Safely dispose of any discarded items, including document shredding and proper handling of any household hazardous waste.
- Complete any additional home sale preparation services such as: cleaning, painting and other minor touch-ups of prior residence.
- Coordinate with other specialized contractors to prepare your home to be listed for sale.